Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Spring 2019 Intro To Fly Fishing Class
Saturday, February 23, 2019 to Saturday, March 2, 2019
8500 Walnut Grove Road
Cordova, TN 38018
(Click the down-arrow to the left of the activity/item to view the details)
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SPRING RIVER PORTION OF THIS CLASS SCHEDULED FOR 3-2-2019 HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO ADVERSE RIVER CONDITIONS.
Please keep checking the website as we will post updates as soon as we have decided on a new date for the casting and warm water fishing at Vince's lake and for the spring river cold water fishing classes.
The Mid-South Fly Fishers' Introduction to Fly Fishing Class is intended to provide an introduction to fly fishing to the beginning fly fisher. It will provide basic information on the gear one needs to get started, how to read the water, wading safety and other topics. It also includes basic casting instruction.
The class consists of three parts: Part 1 will be classroom instruction at Hope Church on February 23. MSFF will offer coffee and donuts and door prizes during Part 1. Part 2 will be held at Vince Marascuilo's lake on February 23 and will include casting instruction and warm water fishing. Part 3 will take place at the Lassiter's access on the Spring River in Arkansas and will consist of a short class on on-stream techniques after which each registrant will be paired with an experienced MSFF member who will offer guidance on trout fishing.
The class fee is $35 for non-members, but is FREE for members. You MUST register for the class regardless of your membership status. To join MSFF, click the following link:
8:30-9:00 am Registration & Introductions
9:00-10:00 am Presentation of Fly Fishing Safety, Courtesy, & Beginning Equipment & Gear (Part 1)
10;00-10:30 am Break for refreshments and door prizes
10:30- 11:30 am Presentation of Fly Fishing Safety, Courtesy, & Beginning Equipment & Gear (Part 2)
11:30 am - noon Relocation to Vince Marascuilo's lake
Noon - 1:00 pm Casting instruction
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Warm water fishing POSTPONED
March 2 POSTPONED
9:00 - 9:30 am On-stream instruction
9:30 am- 12:30 pm Cold water fishing on the Spring River near Hardy, Arkansas.
- You can bring your own fly rod (we suggest 5-6 weight) and reel, leader, tippet, and some flies. If you do not have equipment, the Mid-South Fly Fishers has 5-6 weight rods and reels available for use.
- We also have leaders, tippet and flies for those who do not have them.
- Suggested flies are Woolly Buggers in olive, black or brown, which will work great in the lake. Large egg patterns and large Woolly Buggers in black, brown or white work well on the Spring River. MSFF staff will have other flies as needed.
- On February 23, we will fish from the bank so waders are not required. It may be a little muddy, so consider shoes that you do not mind getting muddy. On March 2, we will be wading in the Spring River and waders and a wading staff will be required. Wading boots should have felt soles whenever possible.
- Hat, sunscreen, and a jacket are always good items to have with you when fishing.